Jetstar Asia adds more services to Bangkok and Manila

0

  • /wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Qantas-Yam-Dreaming-Livery-Boeing-787-9-Dreamliner-VH-ZND-4-1000x1000.jpg
    Qantas

    IATA/ICAO code:
    QF/QFA

    Airline type:
    Full service carrier

    Hub(s):
    Brisbane Airport, Melbourne Airport, Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport

    Year of foundation:
    1920

    Alliance:
    one world

    CEO:
    Alan Joyce

    Country:
    Australia

While major Asian carriers, such as Singapore Airlines, Korean Air and Vietnam Airlines, are recovering rapidly, low-cost carrier Jetstar Asia is also adding more capacity. Last week, the airline announced that it would increase services to Bangkok and Manila from its base in Singapore.

Jetstar Asia is part of the Jetstar Group, which includes Jetstar Airways in Australia and New Zealand, Jetstar Asia Airways and Jetstar Japan. Jetstar Asia is based in Singapore and managed by Newstar Holdings, majority owned by Singaporean company Westbrook Investments (51%), with Qantas Group holding the remaining 49%. Jetstar Japan is a partnership between Qantas Group, Japan Airlines and Tokyo Century Corporation.

SIMPLEFLYING VIDEO OF THE DAY

Will the A321LR find its way into Jetstar Asia?

Jetstar’s first Airbus A321LR is set to enter service, with 17 more to follow by mid-2024. Photo: Airbus.

At the end of July, Jetstar Airways welcomed its first Airbus A321LR, and 17 more will be delivered by mid-2024. The airline also has 20 A321XLRs on order, which it expects to receive between 2024 and 2029. The expanded A321XLR range will bring cities like Singapore, Bangkok, Manila and Hong Kong within reach of Melbourne and Sydney. This will potentially open up new markets for Jetstar Asia, both in Asia and beyond, where the economics of the next-generation aircraft will reduce costs and fares.

Jetstar Asia (Jetstar) is based at Singapore Changi Airport (SIN) and, according to ch-aviation.com, has a fleet of seven Airbus A320-200s. It operates more than 200 flights per week to twelve destinations across Southeast Asia. From August 1, Jetstar has added two additional morning services from Singapore, on Sundays and Mondays, to the Philippines’ capital, Manila. The flights will operate from Manila Airport (MNL) Terminal 1 and will bring Jetstar’s Singapore-Manila services to 13 per week, with one-way fares starting at SG$138 ($99). Jetstar Asia’s regional sales manager for Southeast Asia, Woo Wai Keong, said it was encouraging to see demand for air travel picking up as consumer confidence recovered.

“In July, Jetstar Asia’s occupancy rate averaged over 90%, which means we are welcoming more passengers on board our flights and making the world more accessible for our customers again. Expanding our short-haul network, we’re helping reconnect families and friends, giving our customers more opportunities to take a well-deserved break, while helping to rebuild the economies of the communities we serve.”

Facilitate transfers for codeshare passengers

Last Saturday, Jetstar began operating an additional Saturday morning service between Singapore and Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK). Jetstar now offers eight weekly return flights to Bangkok, with one-way fares starting at SG$96 ($69). The airline said the additional service would facilitate smooth transfers in Bangkok for codeshare passengers flying with Qantas, Emirates, Srilankan Air and Finnair.

Jetstar Asia is using its Airbus A320 fleet to increase services from Singapore to Bangkok and Manila. Photo: Jet Star

From August 19, codeshare transfers from these partner airlines will also be more accessible at Vietnam’s Ho Chi Minh City (SIN) airport. Jetstar is resynchronizing two services between Singapore and Ho Chi Minh City to depart on Friday and Sunday evenings instead of Wednesday and Sunday mornings. Flights will depart Singapore at 8:15 p.m. and the 2:05 a.m. flight will arrive in Ho Chi Minh City at 9:20 p.m. After a quick rotation, the Airbus A320 will leave SGN at 22:00 and arrive in Singapore at 01:00 the following day. Low fares are part of Jetstar’s DNA, so a one-way flight between SIN-SGN starts from SG$73 ($52.50).


Are LCCs, like Jetstar Asia, experiencing a strong rebound in Southeast Asia?

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.